Medical Council News


Clarification concerning 'Grandfather Clause' route of entry onto the Register of Medical Specialists

19th June 2007

If you fall within any of the following categories, you should not be concerned that time is running out for entry in the Specialist Register - you can still apply for specialist registration under the new Medical Practitioners Act.

  • Have completed a recognised GP Vocational Training Programme and hold the MICGP qualification, or
  • Have completed Higher Specialist Training with a recognised Training Body and have a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of Specialist Training, or
  • Hold a certificate confirming completion higher specialist training/vocational training or acquisition of "acquired rights" compliant with EU Directive 93/16/EEC, or
  • Are planning to apply to the Medical Council on the basis of existing experience and training/qualifications