Making a Complaint

The Medical Council handles complaints relating to a doctor's fitness to practise medicine. The Council can take action where it is believed that a doctor has serious failings in his/her practice. The Medical Council acts in the public interest, and can impose restrictions on a doctor’s registration, which would restrict or remove their right to practise medicine in Ireland.

Anyone can make a complaint about a doctor who is registered in Ireland. This includes members of the public, employers and other healthcare professionals. The Medical Council can only take action where complaints are of a serious nature and raise concerns over a doctor's fitness to practise. 

To check if a doctor is on our register please click here.

You may want to consider making your complaint locally in the first instance, to the doctor directly or to the healthcare institution. Most complaints can be dealt with locally at the place where you received care.

Grounds for complaint

The Medical Council deals with complaints into individual doctors on seven grounds. Some complaints may be transferred to another regulatory body or healthcare employer, where deemed appropriate. provides information on the appropriate bodies to which the public can make a healthcare complaint or provide feedback to.

How to make a complaint

You can make a complaint by submitting a complaint form. The form should be completed in writing and can be emailed or sent by post.

We ask that you provide as much detail, information and documentation as possible within your complaint form.

For more information on what happens when a complaint is made click here.

What the Medical Council cannot do regarding a complaint

The Medical Council can take action  against a doctor's registration . Our role is determined by law and before submitting a complaint, please be aware of what the Council cannot do: 

  • Pay you compensation or help you make a claim for compensation
  • Consider any aspects in relation to fees or waiting times
  • Make a doctor apologise to you
  • Look into complaints about anyone who is not a registered doctor (for example; nurses pharmacists, dentists, opticians, social workers, administrative staff/secretaries, clinics or other healthcare organisations)
  • Order a doctor to do something for you such as; provide the treatment that you want, write a prescription for you, give you access to your records or change medical records.
  • Give you a detailed explanation of what happened to you. This can only come from the doctor or healthcare provider
  • Give or arrange medical treatment or counselling for you
  • Give legal advice or representation to you

If you are unsure as to who your complaint should be submitted to, provides information on the appropriate bodies in which you can make a complaint to.

Additional Information